Twins’ Sano out until May after foot procedure

Twins third baseman Miguel Sano likely will be out until May after undergoing a procedure Tuesday morning at the Mayo Clinic.

The decision to send Sano to Minnesota was made after healing on his right lower Achilles-area cut had stagnated, calling for a debridement procedure, chief baseball officer Derek Falvey said.

The cut was cleaned out and another set of sutures were put in by plastic surgeon Nho Tran. Sano previously had 12 stitches placed in the area.

There was a wound-VAC placed over it that will pump in an antiseptic wash and keep the area clean. There was no sign of infection, and the Twins say everything went well with the procedure.

Sano will remain at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester before being re-examined on Friday to make sure he is moving in the right direction.

Check BetRegal.com and find the best online betting site.

Falvey said Sano would be limited for a week, during which he won’t have much movement in a hard splint. After that, he would go back to the protective boot, which he will wear until April.

“They felt really good about the procedure, and the best part was they cleaned it up … but the challenge was a little bit more making sure that it was healing and going in the right direction because of the gouge,” Falvey said. “It’s more gouge than it is clean incision, so they wanted to make sure they addressed that so that it would start and continue to heal back together.”

Sano originally suffered the cut while celebrating his Dominican Winter League team’s championship during a Jan. 26 parade. A teammate spilled a drink and then fell into Sano, who in turn slipped and caught his foot on metal stairs, he said.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets. Find us on both Facebook and Google+

The Twins were aware of the injury a couple of days after it happened, but did not know the severity of the injury.

Bears sign Blewitt to help kicking woes
Cowboys franchise Lawrence again